Chocolates A No For Black Russian Terriers
As Black Russian Terriers are large dogs, the temptation of owners to give chocolate to their dogs is irresistible. Children especially may be overcome by the festivity and may give dogs chocolates when their parents are not in sight..
With the pending Halloween, Christmas and New Years, chocolates are everywhere
Chocolates SHOULD NOT be given to dogs, bottom line.
Theobromine belongs to the same family as caffeine. Since dogs process theobromine very slowly,50 grams of theobromine for a small dog and 500 grams for an average dog can be extremely toxic causing death.
Theophylline is a drug also found in the cocoa bean and is used as a drug for treating respiratory problems.
Generally, the minimum toxic dose of theobromine for dogs ranges from about 46 to 68mg per pound. Statistics show that half the dogs that consumed 114 to 228mg or more of theobromine will die.
Remember toxicity depends on many factors including the type of dog, weight, how much was consumed and lastly if your dog is over sensitive to theobromine. Milk chocolate contains 44mg of theobromine per oz.,semi-sweet chocolate chip contains 150mg per oz., and baking chocolate contains 390mg per oz.
The signs of chocolate toxicity are as follows:
- An increase in heart rate
- Increased urination
If you think that your dog has ingested chocolate it is recommended that you take your dog to the vet immediately so that treatment can begin.